World Obesity Day 2022: Influences and Solutions
March 4th is World Obesity Day. Our country is undergoing a rapid socio demographic, nutritional and environmental changes. These changes along with a genetic predisposition is fuelling the epidemic of obesity related disorders such as Type 2 Diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and five cancers.
Obesity is a ‘disease’ characterized by an excess of body fat and it is more than a cosmetic issue.
Common determinants of Obesity :
- Genetics: If one or both parents are obese, a child is more prone to developing obesity. Hormones involved in fat management are also affected by genetics.
- Stress: Stress can adversely affect weight in both direct and indirect ways. Stress affects a variety of behaviours, including sensitivity to food cues and desires, which contribute to overeating or the consumption of high-calorie foods.
- Eating behaviours: People's food choices play a significant impact in influencing what foods they buy and consume.
- Emotional eating: Emotions and food are intertwined. People eat to cope with both positive and negative emotions, whether it's to celebrate a good day or a particular occasion, or to feel better after a bad day. Eating in response to emotions might become troublesome if it occurs frequently and on a regular basis.
- Physical Inactivity: When people consume more calories, they acquire weight.
The 4 Ms of obesity outcomes
Specialists at Medanta use the 4Ms framework to comprehensively assess the associations and outcomes of obesity. These 4Ms are:
Type 2 Diabetes
Eating Disorder, etc.
Weight Management for Health Clinic
The journey of weight management is a life-long journey. The five vital pillars of weight management are:
- Physical activity
- Intensive behaviour therapy including stress management
- Drug therapy
- Surgical and non-surgical interventions
At Medanta, we provide comfortable, convenient yet comprehensive and personalized weight management involving state of the art novel interventions.