DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION IN OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER
Oct 11, 2023
- Excessive concern with contamination?
- Repetitive urge to wash hands even while knowing they’re not dirty?
- Frequent excessive checking of items like locks and stoves for reassurance?
- Fear of blurting out obscenities?
- Unwanted sexual thoughts or images?
- Preoccupation with arranging things in order, symmetry and counting?
If you do so at a level that causes impairment of everyday functioning, then you could possibly have obsessive-compulsive disorder.Is there a cure for this distressing condition?
- Fortunately, we have various treatment options like medication and behavioural therapy.
- But if all else fails, one can go for a surgical procedure called deep brain stimulation.
- It is a procedure where specific areas of the brain are selectively stimulated for symptom abatement.
- To learn more about DBS, attend the talk by experts.