The symptoms can be abrupt and severe, or may appear slowly after years of inflammation and blockage. Bile duct disease causes symptoms related to liver products backing up and leaking into the bloodstream. Other symptoms may be non-absorption of fats and vitamins in the small intestine due to failure to deliver digestive juices. Other symptoms could include:
- Light-colored stools and dark urine.
- Jaundice: yellowish skin/ eyes due to buildup of waste product, bilirubin.
- Itching (getting worse at night or in warm areas).
- Pain in the upper right side of the abdomen.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Fever, weight loss, and fatigue.
- Loss of appetite.